CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Determination

Exactly! Thank you NU-POC for understanding.

So yes, I would like to use my ENTIRE brain - at ALL times. That is why I have set my sights on Prosthetics/Orthotics. Artistic technologically amazing devices that actually improve the world and people's lives. SATISFACTION at last! I'm in a bit of a rut at present. Apparently I need to be certified via an Associates Degree to do ANYTHING!!! Yes, I have a Biomedical degree but somehow a 2 year degree would be more useful for the positions I'm looking at. Its frustrating but I shall not be deterred. Heck no! I have too many goals! Too many aspirations! Muhuhahahahahahahaha! And these would be the following (in this order via necessity).

1. Become a Prosthetist's/Orthotist's Technician and assist in the fabrication of current prosthetics and orthotics.
2. Get my Prosthetist Certification and/or my Biomedical Master's degree. Preferably at Northwester University because they are da bomb-diggity (i.e. the best).
3. Get my foot in the door at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. Research/Prosthetist/Orthotist - anything! I want to be involved.
4. Become a prosthetic designer and come up with ingenious, creative, simple, functional, affordable and amazing prosthetics.
5. Do pro-bono work, design affordable medical devices and prosthetics for low-income individuals and countries. Use my spare time traveling the world with do-gooder companies to make change for the better using my skills.
6. Start my own little business on the side to design prosthetics/orthotics for animals. Again-emphasis on the affordable aspect.
So whats stopping me? To get into a Prosthetist certificate program I need 2 letters of recomendation from health professionals (physical therapist, prosthetist, orthotist, etc.).
I don't know any.
To work for a health professional and gain valuable experience and hopefully (if they like my awesome work) get recomendation letters, I first need to be a certified physical therapy assistant or prosthetic technician.
To become certified it will take $ and at least 12 months of basic training.
With all my skills, knowledge, good intentions and education...this setback feels debilitating.
And thats my rant. Chin up....Chin up!

0 comments: