CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Itty Bitty

I finally got with the program and started knitting a couple things for my coworker. Her baby shower is this coming Wednesday and the baby is due in three weeks. Luckily there are tons of super cute quickie knits out there. I have been dying to make the Upside Down Daisy Hat!!! Woohoo! Finally a reason! :)

The yarn I picked isn't an exact gauge match but is a great choice - Fixation by Cascade Yarns. Its stretchy (aka forgiving), machine washable (woot!) and has the colors I was looking for. Excellente.

I CO 72 stitches as called for by Snarl on Ravelry who made a newborn sized hat out of my yarn. Her hat is cute too but I really wanted to make a hat with petals. I also read some knitters who thought the Daisy Hat was too long for their baby's head so I subtracted a half inch. I THINK it will be OK. I may end up extending it by putting on an edging or something because I'm paranoid now. It looks like the perfect length??? I found that this link was really useful for baby hat dimensions.

Because Fixation shrinks lengthwise, I made extra long petals using this basic pattern for felted flowers from Michaels.

Large Petal:
(Make 4). With MC, cast on 3sts, leaving 4-inches [10 cm] end.
1st row: (RS). (Inc 1 st in next st) twice. K1. 5 sts.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: Inc 1 st in first st. Knit to last 2 sts. Inc 1 st in next st. K1. 7 sts.
5th row: (RS). Inc 1 st in each of first 2 sts. Knit to last 3 sts. Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. K1. 11 sts. Work 5 rows even.
Next row: (RS). K1. Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last 3 sts. K2tog. K1. 9 sts.
Work 3 rows even. Dec 1 st each end of needle on next 3 rows. Cast off rem 3 sts.


They blocked out to the perfect size after washing. Yay!

0 comments: